Wednesday, September 3, 2008

China Town

No trip to San Francisco would be complete without walking through China town. I really am not in to Asian culture so much so I wasn't expecting much, but it was pretty cool. There are a lot of fun shops and fun people to watch. Below is the gate to China Town.
I had to make friends with this Chinese lion before he'd let us pass.

This is for all of you who always wanted to know what the Cook brothers would look like with Pony Tails.
Eric wanted to get in on the pony tail action too.

I loved these little old men playing their Chinese harps for money. For a second we thought we had made a wrong turn and were really in China, with their music, all the Chinese signs, and architecture. Luckily we looked up and saw the street we were about to pass. I don't think there is a California Avenue in downtown Beijing.


Dan wanted to buy me this umbrella, I said I didn't want it, but I would strike a pose with for him.



I really like this protestor too. His sign talks about lies Bush and the Dalai Lama have been spreading. He was yelling out in Chinese so obviously I didn't know what he was saying, but I loved that he was smiling and happy and waving to people as they passed by the whole time. That's my kind of protestor.

This grossed me out. Chickens, squid, and who knows what other types of dead animals were just sitting in the window on display for everyone too see. How that makes the food seem appetizing is beyond me. A few minutes later Lucy asked us if we wanted to eat some authentic Chinese food for dinner since we were in China town. Dan (with the dead chicken scene fresh in his mind) said, "That would be awesome, where's the Panda Express!"

We had a tourist guide book with us, and it said there was a fortune cookie factory we should check out. We got to the street only to find this shady looking alleyway. I was hesitant, but Dan walked right in. I didn't know how there was going to be a factory in this little alley, but we found it.

The "factory" consisted of three workers. Two old ladies like this were folding the fortune cookies as they came around, and an old man collected money from tourists for taking pictures and buying bags of cookies. It was fun to watch and they offered free samples!
We had a great trip and a fun time with Carl, Lucy and Eric. San Francisco is a fun place to visit, so if you get a chance, you really need to go!

1 comment:

Jenni McVey said...

Wow!!! Dan is brave! I'm with you, Emilee. I think I would have avoided that alley, but it looks like the fortune cookies were worth it. What a fun trip! Wish we could have been there too.