Tuesday, April 14, 2009

4 Miles Underground!

While we were in Utah we decided to embark on an adventure! My Step-dad, Russ, works in a coal mine near Salina, Utah and I have always wanted to take a tour of the mine and we were able to do it while we were visiting!Here is Dan and I in our cute outfits! They were warned that a pregnant woman was coming so they gave me these huge coveralls which could have fit a grown man! Dan thought I looked hilarious from behind.We had to sign in under a number and keep that numbered tag with us. If something happened in the mine they would know we were there and be able to identify the body. Luckily nothing happened:)Here is Russ showing us a map of the mine. It is seriously like a city underground! Here I am posing with my little sister and my mom. Notice that most of our pictures are before we went in the mine, we didn't look pretty after the 5 hour tour!

Before we went into the mine we had to go through a safety course. Here we are learning how to use our breathing gear just in case of a fire. It was comforting to have them while underground, but they had to be on our belts at all times and they were heavy. I was very relieved to have it off at the end!
We drove a truck around the mine. This is what the tunnels look like.

Here is one of the eating areas where the miners can hang out.

It was hard to get good pictures in the mine since the coal dust, water, or darkness would usually make the picture unclear. A huge machine cuts the coal out of the walls and it is transported on this belt up to the top!
Another cool thing we saw in the mine was a dinosaur print in the ceiling, from the bottom up if that makes sense! I also thought it was amazing that a mine could have waterfalls from the ground water and rainfall from the surface! We had a great time, thanks Russ!

9 comments:

Gordon & Stephaney said...

Thanks for the tour, Em. I don't want to ever go underground like that. Six feet under once will be enough for me. But that was neat. Aunt Stephaney

Leda said...

Aunt Stephaney, you're a scardy cat! Show a little back bone and go on a tour!

Caldwell said...

How neat! Sounded like a lot of fun. I didn't quite understand how there was a dinosaur print on the ceiling though? Was that for real?

Emilee said...

Yeah, it was a real dinosaur foot print! Well usually you look at a dinosaur print as a indentation in the ground, but in the mine you are underground so it is above you in the ceiling and it poping out towards you. It is kinda hard to explain!

Jenni McVey said...

What an adventure! I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to go into a coal mine, especially while 7 months pregnant! Way to live life to the fullest!

Alison said...

A little scary but pretty cool!!

I will be thankful that Mark works on top of the Earth!! :)

Seth and Cindy Teague said...

That looks cool! I love your outfits guys!

Kassie Jane said...

I wondered when you were going to put up some pictures of your little adventure. It's not only super neat, but very educational. I'm glad that you all came out alive, and they didn't have to put your ID numbers to use :)

Elise said...

Looks like an awesome tour! We should have done that for a soils lab activity :) I looked at your past posts and you are so cute pregnant! I'm excited for you guys to meet your baby!