Saturday, May 1, 2010

What can you get for $20?

We went to the farmers market today and got this for $20: brussel sprouts, green beans, asparagus, zucchini, peas, tomatoes, green peppers, carrots, leeks, beets, and onions. They were all locally grown and fresh (and from what we've sampled to this point delicious), unlike the things they call vegetables in the grocery store! We are tired of tasteless, textureless produce, and since almost everything is always in season in Southern California we have decided to bid the supermarket veggies adieu!
We are attempting potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, and beets in our own garden right now. Here is Jack harvesting some of our carrots (pitiful excuses for carrots I know, but they were still pretty tasty).


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found that there is also one on Friday mornings further down into town. I'm hoping to get there this week and see what they have. I never remember to go on Saturday mornings!

Contessa Elegante said...

How nice! I wish our produce was all ready to harvest! We almost have lettuce ready, but that's it. How nice to be able to get fresh veggies!!
The girls say Hi. Liis keeps saying "I see Emilee" over and over. Ce is identifying each person in your pictures and explaining how they are different from other people...for example "Dan has hair. Uncle Mike does not." And, yesterday we were planting starts and Ce frantically called out "Dad! We're running out of SOIL!" She dragged the word "soil" out extra long, so I thought of Dan! Love you guys!

Jenn said...

The Saturday morning farmer's market has been part of our weekend routine for a couple of years now. We LOVE it, and the boys really look forward to it. It's nice to be able to supplement our garden produce with other locally grown stuff. We should start a produce swap once all of our gardens are in full production!!

Corbin and Katie said...

ha ha those are pretty funny carrots but yes they are carrots none the less. I love how chubby he still is, his little teeny feet and his chubby little legs. So Cute. Miss ya when are you guys coming back to Utah? For a visit, and for good!